Posted by love on Saturday, October 9, 2010 in


Tiririca /YouTube

A clown could be banned from standing for parliament in Brazil because critics complain that he can't read and write.

Francisco Silva, aka Tiririca which means 'Grumpy' in Portuguese, is standing to represent Sao Paulo in October's general election.

Incredibly, he is ahead in the polls but critics say he should not be able to stand as the constitution states members of congress must be literate.

They have filed a lawsuit demanding that he be forced to take a literacy test, reports Metro.

Tiririca has attracted millions of hits on YouTube with his ads and campaign slogans such as: "It can't be any worse that it is now!"

He also asked: "What does a federal deputy do? Truly, I don't know. But vote for me and you'll find out."

However, Epoca magazine recently reported claims by people who have worked with Silva that he is illiterate.

A video on the publication's website shows a reporter reading questions from an election poll to Silva, who is then asked to read one himself.

Visibly shaken, he hesitates before campaign aides come to the rescue and read it for him.

Tiririca said: "Each day I am more motivated by the support of the voters. They show me I was right to run, and that their vote can help me realise my dream to help people in politics - to help those most in need. Including my family."

0 Responses to “Bid to block clown's election bid”:

Post a Comment

Hits